8.3.09

my sincerest apologies

The lack of a camera and jinx upon the kitchen at my dad's house had left me distraught; seriously. Everything I tried to make turned to shit, and that's not even an exaggeration. Fortunately I solved the mystery of our oven; it sucks. With the bitterness towards cooking at home, I got a lot of pointless stuff done and hopped onto a train. I have good things again, a usable camera, and an almost (or is) perfect kitchen.

DSC_4908

So last night, Robert (the boyfriend) and I, cooked the most Italian dinner ever. We made my grandmother's eggplant lasagna with spinach fettuccini, and a home-made pizza (sorta). All of it was super easy, but frying eggplant, I swear, takes forever. Obviously it's worth it.

Grandma's Eggplant Lasagna:
1 whole eggplant; sliced thin
fresh (that white, milky kind) mozzarella
regular (not so milky kind) mozzarella
lots of provolone
15 oz ricotta cheese
pinches of romano
jar of tomato sauce
3 eggs
2 tbsp milk
bread crumbs
1 cup flour

So pretty much I sliced the eggplant really thin with the skin still on. Mixed together some Romano, breadcrumbs, and flour. Breaded the little beasts, and Robert fried them. With the extra egg mixture and bread crumbs, mix them together and make thick but flat circles and fry them. Bread crumb balls are a gift from heaven (and my grandma's secret love), I swear. So...

We assembled the eggplant lasagna in a deep baking dish like so:

1. eggplant (always first layer, covering all space)
2. sauce
3. ricotta (mixed with little sauce for easier spreading)
4. fresh & regular mozzarella
5. ripped up provolone
6. sprinkle of romano

-repeat until all ingredients are gone!

We baked it on 425 degrees covered for 20 minutes, and uncovered for about ten (until the cheese on top started to brown, ya know). Put pasta on once you uncover it; duh.


The pizza was almost about the same, excluding the eggplant and ricotta and use of pizza sauce instead. We were too lazy to make dough, so we bought a handy roll of Pillsbury... which, I infact, highly recommend because it is delish. Normally we'd plate all of this a bit nicer, but by the time it was done we were beyond hungry.


Robert's plate:
DSC_4933


My plate:
DSC_4929


And two very inpatient, hungry folks:
DSC_4915



Be prepared for more, I don't want to spoil it all in one post.

Love yous.


Ps- I hope you all know you can click on the photographs to see them bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Free Blog Counter